Sunday, March 23, 2014

41 Things more important than your GPA in college.

It's the end of the term and grades are coming out.
Joy.
This term I really enjoyed most of my classes.
I really felt like I learned a lot.
I tried my hardest.

And yet, I still have this sense of panic when grades are being released.
Why?
If I did my best and learned a lot isn't that enough?

Don't get my wrong grades are important.
But not the most important.

I took a final this term in a class I loved.
I learned so much about the subject matter.
Studied my butt off.
Sat down to take the exam...
And blanked.

It just seems so silly to me to put so much pressure on one test.
College is about so much more than that.

So with out further ado here are 41 Things That Are More Important Than Your GPA In College.



1. Finding Yourself.
2. Finding a major you enjoy
3.Making friends you actually like.
4. Interning.
5. Volunteering your time.
6. Taking a class on something you know nothing about.
7. Learning how to pay bills.
8. Figuring out where the money is going to come from to pay your bills.
9. Learning to live with people besides your family.
10. Learning what you like to do.
11. Learning how much alcohol you can handle
12. Learning how much alcohol you can't handle.
13. Finding a passion you didn't know you had.
14. Opening your eyes to the world around you.
15. Realizing you actually really like your parents.
16. Discovering the value of a dollar.
17. Learning what a deadline means.
18. Making deadlines.
19. Doing something stupid and having a good story.
20. Learning to keep in touch with people while your in a different place.
21. Traveling
22. Taking a class you absolutely hate.
23. Failing miserably at something.
24. But getting up the next day and trying again.
25. Learning to do your own chores.
26. Managing Stress
27. Eating healthy
27. Exercising when you don't eat healthy.
28. Starting to figure out what you want out of life.
29. Changing your mind about things.
30. Forming your own opinion and thoughts about things.
31. Especially politics and what you like. 
32. Changing your major if you find a new one you like.
33. Trying your hardest.
34. Accomplishing something you thought you couldn't.
35. Going to a college football game.
36. Tailgating
37. Learning to work with people you don't like
38. Figuring out how to make a budget.
39. Sticking to a budget.
40. Figuring out how to make things work when you don't stick to your budget.
41. Making it to graduation.

I am not saying that your GPA isn't important it is. But there is so much more to college.
However, I think it would be a shame if you graduated college with a great GPA without doing any of these things.

Bottom line is do your best and you'll succeed. If you don't get back up and try again.
Be open, try new things and learn.
That's what college is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment